Larry L. Boschee
As a litigator for nearly 30 years, Larry focuses his practice on complex civil litigation. He practices primarily in the areas of product liability defense, oil and gas law, energy and mineral litigation, commercial law and insurance defense. Larry takes a client-focused approach to each matter he handles, providing responsive communication, practical and innovative counseling, intense, reasoned preparation, sound judgment and vigorous defense of client interests. This committed approach provides value-driven service to his respected clients.
Larry has defended manufacturers in cases involving automobiles, trucks, recreational vehicles, consumer products, medical devices, agricultural and industrial equipment, and agricultural chemicals. He has represented manufacturers in North and South Dakota, Montana, Minnesota, Wyoming, and other Midwestern and Western states.
Super Lawyers has recognized Larry as a Great Plains Super Lawyer in product liability defense, business litigation, and energy and natural resources. Chambers has recognized him as a leading North Dakota litigation attorney, and Benchmark has recognized him as a local litigation star.
Larry is an elected member of the American Law Institute. The Institute is the leading independent organization in the United States to clarify, modernize, and otherwise improve the law. Elected membership consists of judges, lawyers, and law professors selected on the basis of professional achievement and demonstrated interest in improving the law.
Larry is also a sustaining member of the Product Liability Advisory Council, an association of manufactures that invites a limited number of leading product liability defense attorneys to participate. PLAC is devoted to the development of balanced product liability law, and the development and sharing of knowledge and strategies useful to the defense of product liability lawsuits.
Additionally, Larry is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. The Litigation Counsel of America is a trial lawyer honorary society composed of experienced and effective litigators throughout the United States. Fellowship in LCA is highly selective and by invitation only.
Larry also is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, an invitation-only, honorary organization of law professionals. Fellows have demonstrated outstanding achievement and dedication to the welfare of their communities and to the highest principles of the legal profession
- Valley City State University (B.S., summa cum laude, 1982)
- University of North Dakota (J.D., with distinction, 1985)
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- Fort Berthold Tribal Court
- U.S. District Court, District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court, District of South Dakota
- U.S. District Court, District of Montana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Recognition, Activities + Memberships
- The American Law Institute
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Federal Bar Association, Secretary Treasurer, North Dakota Chapter, 2014-2015
- Federal Practice Committee, United States District Court for the District of North Dakota, 2011 -
- DRI The Voice of the Defense Bar, State Representative 2009-2013
- American Bar Foundation
- American Inns of Court, State Liaison, 2007-2011
- North Dakota Petroleum Council
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- North Dakota Defense Lawyers Association, President 2007-2008
- South Dakota Defense Lawyers Association
- North Dakota Joint Procedure Committee (the state rules advisory committee), 2007-2015
- North Dakota Pattern Jury Instruction Commission, 2002-2011, Chairman 2007-2008
- Judge Bruce M. Van Sickle American Inn of Court, President 2005-2007
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Paul Benson, Judge of the United States District Court for the District of North Dakota 1985-87.
- Faculty, University of Wyoming College of Law, Summer Trial Institute, Laramie, Wyoming; August 8-9, 2013, August 18, 2014.
Articles + Publications
- Contributing Author: Product Liability Desk Reference, A Fifty State Compendium (M. Daller, 2015)
- Contributing Author: Business Torts Desk Reference, A Fifty State Guide (M. Daller, 2015)
- Author: Beyond Restating the Law: The American Law Institute, Part I, 60 No. 1 The Gavel 34 (2013)
- Author: Beyond Restating the Law: The American Law Institute, Part II, 60 No. 2 The Gavel 30 (2013)
- Contributing Author: Product Liability Compendium: Warnings, Instructions, and Recalls (DRI 2012)
- Author: The Posse Comitatus Act as an Exclusionary Rule: Is the Criminal to Go Free Because the Soldier has Blundered? 61 N.D. L. Rev. 107 (1985)
- "Oil and Gas Hydraulic Fracturing: Technical Overview, Governmental Regulation, and Tort Law Trends"; National Business Institute; Bismarck, North Dakota; June 4, 2015.
- "Cross-Examination: Preparation and Execution"; The Bruce M. Van Sickle American Inn of Court; Bismarck, North Dakota; September 19, 2014.
- "Next Generation Tort Law: The New Restatement Third of Torts"; State Bar of South Dakota; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; April 27, 2012
- "What Every Torts Lawyer Should Know about the Restatement Third of Torts: Liability for Physical and Emotional Harm"; North Dakota Defense Lawyers Association; Bismarck, North Dakota; October 20, 2011
- "Mrs. Palsgraf Meets the Restatement Third"; The Ronald N. Davies American Inn of Court; Fargo, North Dakota; September 15, 2011