Meredith L. Vukelic
Meredith focuses her practice on education law, representing public school districts across North Dakota. Prior to his retirement, Meredith was fortunate to work under, and learn from, long-time education law attorney, Gary Thune.
Meredith is the primary special education attorney in the firm, assisting districts and special education units with Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 matters at all stages – from advising on issues related to IEPs and 504 Plans, to representation in due process actions, state complaint investigations and facilitated meetings. She also has experience in other areas of education law, including nonrenewals and discharges, open meetings and records requests, FERPA compliance, investigating employee and student misconduct, employee and student discipline, employee leave and accommodation matters.
Meredith has defended several claims brought before the United States Department of Education - Office for Civil Rights, as well as the North Dakota Department of Labor. She assists school boards in presenting before the North Dakota Education Factfinding Commission. Meredith also enjoys opportunities to present to groups on education and employment law matters.
Meredith has litigated in federal, state, and tribal court, and has represented clients in state administrative hearings. Prior to joining the firm, she worked for over two years as a non-profit attorney with Legal Services of North Dakota.
- University of North Dakota School of Law (J.D., with distinction, 2010)
- University of Minnesota-Morris (B.A., 2007)
- State Bar Association of North Dakota (2010)
- United States District Court for the District of North Dakota (2013)
- Federal Bar Association (2013)
Recognition, Activities + Memberships
- Appointed by the N.D. Supreme Court to the North Dakota Court Services Administration Committee, 2013 – present
- Big Muddy Bar Association
- Officer at Large, 2012
- Secretary-Treasurer, 2013
- Vice President, 2014
- President, 2015
- North Dakota Defense Lawyers Association
- Treasurer, 2014-2015
- Vice-President, 2015 to present
- National School Board Association – Council of School Attorneys
- North Dakota School Boards Association – Legal Services Affiliation
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) – The Voice of the Defense Bar
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Federal Bar Association