Rachel A. Bruner-Kaufman
Rachel focuses her practice on representing public school districts, and currently leads the education law practice at the firm. She has experience in almost all areas of education law, including teacher negotiations, contractual and non-contractual employment disputes, nonrenewals and discharges, constitutional violations, open meetings and records requests, investigating employee and student misconduct, Title IX and student expulsions. Rachel routinely presents on school law and/or employment law to large and small groups.
Rachel is experienced in federal, state and tribal court, in the state administrative hearings process and in defending claims brought before the Department of Labor and/or Office for Civil Rights. She also has vast experience before the North Dakota Education Factfinding Commission. Rachel is General Counsel for the North Dakota High School Activities Association (NDHSAA). She and Zachary Pelham are Co-General Counsel for the North Dakota Insurance Reserve Fund (NDIRF).
In addition to her busy practice, Rachel also teaches School Law as an adjunct graduate professor for the University of Mary.
- University of North Dakota (J.D., with distinction, 2009)
- North Dakota State University (B.S., magna cum laude, 2006)
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
Recognition, Activities + Memberships
- Super Lawyers, Great Plains Rising Star, 2016
- Big Muddy Bar Association, Officer at Large 2014, Secretary-Treasurer 2015, Vice President 2016
- North Dakota Defense Lawyers Association, Vice President 2012-2013, President 2013-2014
- DRI The Voice of the Defense Bar
- State Bar Association of North Dakota, Continuing Legal Education Committee, 2012 -
- State Bar Association of North Dakota, Young Lawyers Section, Secretary-Treasurer, 2012-2013
- National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
- North Dakota Council of School Attorneys
- North Dakota School Boards Association Legal Services Affiliation
- Federal Bar Association
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Daniel L. Hovland, U.S. District Court, District of North Dakota, 2009-2011