Posts

Edward Cox: The beginning of a legacy

Edward Cox moved to Bismarck in early 1917 to work in the state tax commission as an attorney. Later that year he was appointed Assistant Attorney General by then Attorney General William “Wild Bill” Langer and held the position until he and O’Hare began the Firm. He had many interesting cases while with the Attorney General’s office.

Cox was a golf enthusiast who placed at the North Dakota state championship in the 1920s. He served as a school board member in Bismarck for a number of years after co-founding the Firm as well.

Along with Herbert O’Hare, Cox is a founding partner of our Firm. He practiced until he passed in 1954.

Herbert O’Hare: The beginning of a legacy

Herbert O’Hare began his career as a teacher in rural Ward County prior to going to the University of Minnesota to pursue a law degree. Upon completing his degree, he settled in Garrison, ND to practice law in 1905. He later opened a practice with Charles Staley in Garrison and practiced there for a number of years before moving to Bismarck.

During his time in Garrison he, along with others in the community, petitioned McLean County to incorporate the town of Garrison. He later went on to be a proponent for the division of McLean County in 1908 when both Stevenson County and Sheridan County divisions were proposed. O’Hare was named the county judge for the period of time that Stevenson County was being formed prior to the North Dakota Supreme Court ruling against the annexation of land for the creation of the County.

O’Hare moved to Bismarck in 1915 upon being appointed to bankruptcy referee for the southwestern district of North Dakota and later acted as city attorney as well. He opened his own practice in the First National Bank building where today stands BNC National Bank.

Along with Edward Cox, O’Hare is a founding partner of our Firm. He represented many local and national clients during his tenure and was active in the community. He was with the Firm for twenty years until his retirement in 1939.

Pearce Durick PLLC celebrates 100 years

In 1919 when Herbert O’Hare and Edward Cox opened a small law practice in Bismarck, ND they had both come from different backgrounds but knew that together they could be a resource to the community. What O’Hare and Cox did not know was that they were starting a legacy which would still stand 100 years later. Throughout the years the Firm has had nearly 50 attorneys working for clients both big and small, local and across the nation.

It is with great honor that Pearce Durick PLLC celebrated this legacy by inviting attorneys and staff, both current and past, to an evening to reconnect and reminisce. Harry Pearce, former partner who went on to become vice chairman of General Motors, spoke of the legacy that the attorneys before him, particularly his father, built around the Firm and the dedication to integrity that is woven into the fabric of Pearce Durick PLLC.

Today, Pearce Durick PLLC still has a commitment to integrity in its dealings with clients. We draw on the strength of those who have made the Firm what it is today – strategic, responsive, and effective. We are a client-focused, innovative, and value-driven Firm and look to the next century to continue to build relationships and represent our clients in a way that would make O’Hare and Cox proud. Here’s to the next 100 years!